Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: James M. Cain

From: Kerry J. Schooley ( gsp.schoo@murderoutthere.com)
Date: 02 Oct 2007

Hi Don:

I shouldn't have mentioned the frozen tundra. I live on the Niagara Escarpment at the west end of Lake Ontario, a considerable excursion from the closest permafrost. "Land of the midnight sun" might have been more in keeping with the idea of 24-hour compulsive/obsessive behaviours.

And it turns out I lied about the contest too. Though I did get hits when I googled "24 hour novel writing contest" what I was actually thinking of was the 3-day novel writing contest: http://www.3daynovel.com/

I've a friend who entered and found the experience worthwhile. Of course, he's already reasonably established as a writer of surrealist poetry and short fiction, making his judgement entirely questionable.

Still, 3 days does not a November make, nor any other month for that matter, so there might be something suitably insane for you amid my confusion.

Best, Kerry