RARA-AVIS: Re: Hammet and Cain

From: Richard Moore ( moorich@aol.com)
Date: 01 Oct 2007

--- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, "Channing" <filmtroll@...> wrote:

> Comparing Cain to Hammett is like comparing noir to
> hard-boiled. They're the grandfathers of the modern
> crime novel and their names have become examples of
> greatness in their respective oeuvre.
>
> --Chan

I agree with this statement. At his best, Cain is one of my favorite writers. THE POSTMAN ALWAYS RINGS TWICE is an original that has not been surpassed--not even by Cain, although with DOUBLE INDEMNITY was a worthy attempt. I'm still looking for my copy of MIGNON and THE INSTITUTE and the one about the boxing trainer who helps the femme fatale lose about 75 pounds before they trip down that POSTMAN trail. They are around here somewhere but the Cain box has gone missing again.

By the way, somewhere I read that Cain's working title for THE POSTMAN ALWAYS RINGS TWICE was BAR-B-QUE.

Richard Moore