RARA-AVIS: Re: James M. Cain

From: jacquesdebierue ( jacquesdebierue@yahoo.com)
Date: 01 Oct 2007

--- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, "Jeff Vorzimmer" <jvorzimmer@...> wrote:

> There aren't many bad Jim Thompson novels--The Golden Gizmo, King
Blood and
> Child of Rage. Everything else is worth reading.

I agree, though even an incoherent mess like _The Golden Gizmo_ has the hypnotic Thompson beat to it: in other words, try to stop reading it once you've started...

I thought _Heed The Thunder_ was a very strong novel. I first read it when a handsome hardcover edition came out, maybe 10 or 15 years ago. His writing has considerable power even without the element of crime or weirdos.

Best,

mrt