RARA-AVIS: Re: Joe L. Hensley, RIP

From: Richard Moore ( moorich@aol.com)
Date: 30 Aug 2007

I met Joe several times back when Bouchercons were relatively small affairs and always enjoyed our conversations. In addition to his writing (both science fiction and mysteries), he had served in the state legislature and was (at that time) a sitting judge. As a reporter, I'd run into a fair number of judges (and state legislators and even a few writers) with big egos, so I was pleased to find him a very laid-back, friendly fellow.

I first read Hensley's short stories in the science fiction and mystery digests. Later, I very much enjoyed his novels for the old Doubleday Crime Club featuring attorney Donald Robak as well as the non-Robak novel RIVERTOWN RISK. He conducted some classes in writing fiction. He had given encouragement to my friend Ed Byers who became a successful SF writer. In fact my last conversation with Joe concerned Ed's death at the age of 50 from cancer.

Joe was a good writer and a fine man and I am sorry to hear of his passing.

Richard Moore

--- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, "foxbrick" <foxbrick@...> wrote:

> Bill Crider's blog carries the mention, and a link back to the
> Ellison discussion website.
>
> HARLAN ELLISON
> - Monday, August 27 2007 9:18:47
>
> MY DEAR FRIEND IS GONE
>
> At 9 AM exactly, this morning, the 27th of August, my phone rang;
and
> it was Tom, the younger brother of my friend of more than 50
years,
> the most excellent sf and mystery writer,
>
> JOE L. HENSLEY
>
> a staunch, talented friend I could not have loved more were he my
> brother. Joe died in the night. Last night.
>
> Please spread the word. I am in fear that such mass amnesia as
exists
> in the country, in the genre, in the massmind, that few will know
his
> name. He needs to be remembered. Yet when I called LOCUS to report
> his passing, the (very polite) young woman who answered, who took
the
> news, may not have recognized it, nor be aware of Joe's
significant