RARA-AVIS: New books and old stories

From: Michael Robison ( miker_zspider@yahoo.com)
Date: 29 Aug 2007

Hung around the Borders on the outskirts of Chicago for a couple hours this evening. It's been a long week and it's only Wednesday. I found a great deal on Connelly's Closers and Narrows. Bought the hardbacks new for less than what the mass paperback versions will run.

I read several more Edgar Allan Poe stories while I was there. I love some of his stories but the ones I read tonight pretty much sucked. One was MS in a Bottle. Another was The Oval Portrait. Then two where the protagonists' female counterparts were their cousins. Didn't Poe marry his 13-year-old cousin, or something like that? There's at least a hint of incest in The Fall of the House of Usher, a favorite of mine. The Black Cat is good, too. And the old favorites like Cask of Amontillado and The Tell-Tale Heart and The Mask of the Red Death (is that right?).

The MS in a Bottle smelled a whole hell of a lot like Coleridge's Rime of the Ancient Mariner, but without the weight of Coleridge.

I've been reading Wister's Virginian this week. So far it's just a little bit too romancey for me. It needs a bit a ass-whuppin' to break the monotony.

Been a long three weeks on the road. Home tomorrow and I'm ready.

miker

____________________________________________________________________________________ Building a website is a piece of cake. Yahoo! Small Business gives you all the tools to get online. http://smallbusiness.yahoo.com/webhosting