Re: RARA-AVIS: The Deadly Percheron

From: Jeff Vorzimmer ( jvorzimmer@austin.rr.com)
Date: 27 Aug 2007

> Just finished this, so maybe my memory will serve me
> better than it did on the Harris novels. The copy
> I've got has three Bardin novels in it written between
> 1946 and 1948. The Deadly Percheron is the first.
> It's about an amnesia victim involved in a murder and
> his slow recollection of the nightmare occurences
> during his memory loss. It wasn't bad, but there were
> parts that strained belief and character development
> seemed somewhat sacrificed for plot.
>
> miker

This was one of Alan's suggestions as one of the best novels of the 40s and I liked it. I thought it was really interesting. Similar in some repects to The Red Right Hand and Night of the Jabberwock, but I thought it superior to both those novels.

I also got a copy of They Don't Dance Much, which is in my TBR pile, another of his recommendations for the 40s.

Jeff