RARA-AVIS: Ross Macdonald vs. Elmore Leonard

From: Jack Bludis ( buildsnburns@yahoo.com)
Date: 22 Aug 2007

Fred Zackel quoted Adam Gopnik's article in the New Yorker about Philip K. Dick and concluded that Gopnik was "Full of Shit" To truly appreciate how full of shit Gopnik is, I think we have to see a little more of Gopnik's paragraph.

Gopnik wrote:
"... Since genre writing can support only one genius at a time--and no genre writer ever becomes just a good writer; it's all prophet or all hack--the guy is usually resented by his peers and their partisans even as the Establishment hails him. No one hates the rise of Elmore Leonard so much as a lover of Ross Macdonald."

My belief is that Rara_Avis is as good a cross section of hard-boiled and noir writers and readers that there is, so I have a couple of questions, base on your opinions.

As many of you may know, I'm not as filled with awe at Ross Macdonald as many of the rest of you are, but I'm not willing to put him in the hack status just because I don't like his metaphors. He covers a lot of story in his pages.

My questions to the group: Aren't there more than one genius, hard-boiled and/or noir writers? And ... Do any of you "lovers of Ross Macdonald" (using Gopnik's words) resent the rise of Elmore Leonard?

(And with apologies to Fred for my nitpicking, it's the 20 September New Yorker, not the 21st, at least on my cover.)

I thank Fred for his comments as well as for bringing the article to my/our attention.

Jack Bludis

http://crimespace.ning.com/profile/JackBludis http://jackbludis.com/ Recent Story at http://backalleywebzine.com/

____________________________________________________________________________________ Looking for a deal? Find great prices on flights and hotels with Yahoo! FareChase. http://farechase.yahoo.com/