Re: RARA-AVIS: Kind of Blue

From: Brian Thornton ( tieresias@worldnet.att.net)
Date: 21 Aug 2007

I find it interesting that you say that, John, because although I can see Davis and his players here trying to break out from the constraints of hard bop, I don't really see it as "free jazz" (although it is clearly a reaction to the limiting forms of hard bop).

When I think of free form jazz in the fifties, I think of guys like Ornette Coleman and to a lesser extent, Freddie Hubbard.

All the Best-

Brian Thornton