RARA-AVIS: Re: Archer segue to Huston

From: joyrose517 ( eprn17@gmail.com)
Date: 21 Aug 2007

Dave, I'm sure many people in this group would welcome an analysis of what is wrong with Ross MacDonald's writing, but I am not among them. I am interested in learning about writers whose work is new to me
(which is how I found out about Ross MacDonald), and when I finish a novel I enjoy reading a critical analysis of the work in the sense of arriving at the meaning underlying the writing. If I enjoy the work of a writer, and someone else does not, I don't see the value in hearing why the other person doesn't like it. Analyze for meaning, yes; analyze for taste, no.If I like blue and miker likes green, where is the value in having him point out to me that blue is not really as good as I think it is? Art has meaning, but our individual tastes ultimately prevail in what we choose to value.

--- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, "Dave Zeltserman" <dz@...> wrote:

> Joy, I've been a member of RARA AVIS for a long time now, as has
> miker, and I can tell you that is not his style. But I can also
tell
> you that he's someone who enjoys critically analyzing and
discussing