RARA-AVIS: Re: THE ARCHER FILES, Tom Nolan Ed.

From: Jacques Debierue ( matrxtech@yahoo.com)
Date: 20 Aug 2007

--- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, "joyrose517" <eprn17@...> wrote:

> Thanks for highlighting this book, Brian. I only just recently
> started reading hardboiled fiction, and am completely enthralled by
> Ross MacDonald and Lew Archer. I'm reading the novels in
> chronological order, and am looking forward to reading these stories.
> Before I read "The Moving Target" I was planning on starting at the
> beginning with Hammett and Chandler, but now I'm in no hurry to read
> them. I get such pleasure from reading MacDonald's prose that I could
> stay in his world forever.

You can. He's infinitely rereadable. Lawrence Block described the experience, which I make mine in toto: once you've finished a RMcD book, it goes completely out of your head. So you can reread it any time you want and it will feel new... except that after a certain point, they are all the same... the same but not the same, so you can keep on reading. This writer had some special magic, a laconic, sad kind of magic, but we suckers keep reading. He was very good.

Have you read The Chill or The Zebra-Striped Hearse yet? Those are great favorites of mine, and the latter has one of the best titles I've ever seen in a mystery.

Best,

mrt