Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: RIP John Gardner

From: Kerry J. Schooley ( gsp.schoo@murderoutthere.com)
Date: 17 Aug 2007

At 05:28 PM 16/08/2007, you wrote:

>since a large camp believes that noir is about doom, or at the very least, an
>extremely stacked deck, governments' permission, in fact their very way of
>going about their business is a primary contributor to noir. after all, what
>does the phrase "Forget it, Jake. It's Chinatown." refer to? it's simply
>the way of the world

That's somewhat different. The law, as written, is to be enforced within the political jurisdiction of the lawmakers, including Chinatown in this particular instance. That the cops, and others, do not go into Chinatown to enforce the law in the same way that to do in other communities because they consider it an incomprehensible place, is a corruption of the law itself (and a metaphor too, of course.) But with spying there is no law to prohibit someone from this activity outside the lawmakers' jurisdiction. Quite the contrary. It is not a case of legal corruption.

Don't we spy on other countries to help make them better places to live, and to provide security at home? How can this be dark and sinister, or doomed?

I think. Kerry

------------------------------------------------------ The evil men do lives after them http://www.murderoutthere.com