Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: RIP John Gardner

From: DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net
Date: 16 Aug 2007

Kerry wrote:

"I was thinking of the genre, with Le Carré ©n mind, I think. A lot of killing and betrayal going on, but given that the characters act with their governments' permission, is it noir?"

Not that I'm particulary well read in the espionage genre (Fleming and Amis's Bonds, a couple LeCarres, a McCarry, a few Hamiltons, a Buchan and a Maugham), but I think they share a lot of the giri/ninjo conflict essential to many samurai tales, where the samurai/spy must decide between duty to clan/country and personal conscience. That conflict can certainly lead to noir situations.

Mark