RARA-AVIS: Re: Question about Raymond Chandler: Two Ladies in the Lake?

From: Jacques Debierue ( matrxtech@yahoo.com)
Date: 16 Aug 2007

--- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, harry.lerner@... wrote:

> Thanks for the answers to my question! I'm looking forward to reading
> these early stories and seeing how they compare to the later novels.

In my opinion, the stories of _Killer in the Rain_ are terrific. Two of them, Bay City Blues and the already mentioned No Crime in the Mountains, are masterpieces. I don't think Chandler's novels reach the peaks that he reached in the short story medium. A good, longish short by Chandler is... dynamite.

Best,

mrt