RARA-AVIS: Question Regarding Film Rights

From: Nathan Cain ( IndieCrime@gmail.com)
Date: 14 Aug 2007

This is a question for the professionals (writers, agents, etc..) on the list. Please feel free to reply off-list, and please forgive me for getting off topic, but I'm a bit out of my depth, and I'm unsure where to turn.
  I recently published a story on Thuglit, and a few weeks ago an independent filmmaker got in touch with me, interested in optioning the rights for a short film for the festival circuit. The person in question has already made one short film, which I have watched. It's got an imdb entry, and it's been reviewed, so I'm certain the guy is on the level. My problem is that I've got a contract in my possession, and, although it looks fine to me, I'm wary of giving it final approval because I have Zero experience with this sort of thing, and I don't want to sign anything I don't fully understand.
  I was totally unprepared for this sort of thing to happen, so if anyone could offer advice, or point me in the direction of an organization or individual that can offer advice I would be forever grateful.

Nathan Cain