Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: The Long Goodbye (the book, not the movie)

From: Patrick King ( abrasax93@yahoo.com)
Date: 09 Aug 2007

I recently read Roy Hoopes' biography of James Cain and Cain was a very driven rewriter. He knew where he wanted a piece to go and what it had to do, and he'd write it. Then he'd write it again, as though the original draft didn't exist, and again and again if necessary. He literally rewrote each chapter, didn't just revise them. That's why it took him so long to complete many of his books, but also why his dialogue and prose are so tight and well-crafted. He wrote 1,200 words a day, every day, even when his work wasn't selling. He thought nothing of rewriting an entire novel if he felt the idea was good, but the work didn't do it justice. It would be a lot easier, in the computer world, to work like this today. The main thing is to see the work the way a painter sees a painting, or a composer sees a song or symphony, as a work on-going and a reason in and of itself. Cain said his best selling books were plot driven, not character driven: The Postman Always Rings Twice, Double Indemnity, and Serenade. The character driven stories like Mildred Pierce did not sell so well as books, although the movie did his reputation a lot of good. So he looked for good, complex plots and tried to people them with strong characters, but the story, he believed, needed to be there for readers and critics to warm to the book. I think that's an interesting distinction.

Patrick King

____________________________________________________________________________________ Sick sense of humor? Visit Yahoo! TV's Comedy with an Edge to see what's on, when. http://tv.yahoo.com/collections/222