RARA-AVIS: Re: Hardboiled Harry Potter

From: JIM DOHERTY ( jimdohertyjr@yahoo.com)
Date: 02 Aug 2007

Todd,

Re your comment below:

"In spite of this, I didn't really enjoy the book. In the process of becoming more 'hardboiled,' it lost much of its silly humor and joy, the main reason most people probably read the series."

But the series became pogressively more hard and dark with each new entry. The culmination of hardness and darkness in DEATHLY HALLOWS is precisely what the series has been working toward. And the fact that each new entry was more popular than the last indicates to me that it wasn't the "silly humor and joy" of the series that drew readers, at least not that alone, but precisely what Chandler said drew readers to the hard-boiled crime story, the story of a hero and his adventure in the search for hidden truth.

The series actually does a very good job not only of charting Harry's search for that hidden truth, butof charting his growth from childhood through adolescense to manhood. And as Harry changed from a child, enjoying the "silly humor and joy" that is, or should be a part of childhood, to an teenager filled with the angst that marks those years, to an adult fighting a war for the very survival of his society, he gradually puts away childish things, as is entirely appropriate.

JIM DOHERTY

____________________________________________________________________________________ Pinpoint customers who are looking for what you sell. http://searchmarketing.yahoo.com/