RARA-AVIS: Re: NYC Noir (LONG)

From: bigguy_92131 ( arode@socal.rr.com)
Date: 27 Jul 2007

--- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, Steve Lewis <stevelewis62@...> wrote:

> What's more, The Window is paired with Deadline At
> Dawn, one of the damnedest movies I've ever seen. It's
> a Cornell Woolrich adaptation scripted by Clifford
> Odets and directed by Harold Clurman, founder of the
> Group Theater. It's a movie that really has that
> Barton Fink feeling, with working class characters
> stopping to philosophize at the drop of a hat. It's
> terrible, but in a greatly enjoyable way.
> Vince Keenan
> My favorite movie of all time, for all of the reasons you say.
>
> Best
>
> Steve
>

> I thought I would jump in here from the lurking-in-the-shadows
mode and introduce myself. I am Alan K. Rode, big time noir reader, aficionado and writer.

I am also tied in with the Film Noir Foundation and would like to make a slight correction to Vince's earlier post concerning The Window.

Warner Bros. was nice enough to do the restoration of The Window at the Foundation's urging. They did so at no cost to us and then graciously put the Foundation's logo on the restored print along with another restoration of the Garfield flick Nobody Lives Forever. The print is indeed gorgeous-we screened in January 2006 in San Francisco- and it will be great if Bruce Goldstein has it dialed in for his N.Y. Noir Festival which looks to be a terrific line-up.

A significant project that is coming to fruition is the Film Noir Foundation's partnership with UCLA that will soon result in a new print of The Prowler, a major film noir restoration that we are very excited about.

Alan K. Rode

www.alanrode.com