Re: RARA-AVIS: Types of noir (was Re: Pop. 1280)

From: Allan Guthrie ( allan@allanguthrie.co.uk)
Date: 01 Aug 2007

Haven't quite read all of Goodis's novels. Still got one to go (and I've no good reason for avoiding it).

I take your point about THE BIG HEAT. Retrospectively, it probably isn't noir, but as you're reading the book you're immersed in a corrupt and brutal world where the protagonist loses his wife to a car bomb and goes rogue because he can't get justice any other way. In the moment, it feels like noir.

Al