Re: RARA-AVIS: Types of noir (was Re: Pop. 1280)

From: Kerry J. Schooley ( gsp.schoo@murderoutthere.com)
Date: 01 Aug 2007

At 09:49 PM 31/07/2007, you wrote:

>Kerry J. Schooley wrote:
>
>Noir is about our inability, collectively and
>individually, to stop behaving in ways contrary to
>what we believe, morally, legally, ethically etc.

>That's determinism. I don't see that as the main
>theme of noir. Just the opposite.

I don't think what I described, or that by denying the possibility of transcendence that noir falls into the category of determinism. Noir does recognize that there are determining forces at work in the world, culture and concepts of morality for instance. The success of these forces varies, and that is generally how we define their power, which invariably corrupts. Still, powerful or otherwise we do have many choices in ways to screw up, and that does seem to be what noir explores, for entertainment and insight. I don't see how that becomes determinism.

Best, Kerry

------------------------------------------------------ Literary events Calendar (South Ont.) http://www.lit-electric.com The evil men do lives after them http://www.murderoutthere.com