RARA-AVIS: Types of noir (was Re: Pop. 1280)

From: Dave Zeltserman ( dz@hardluckstories.com)
Date: 28 Jul 2007

> *************
> I think the psycho part has been answered by those
> more knowledgeable than me. Definitely the following:
>
> Double Indemnity, Cain
> Killer Inside Me, Thompson
> Burnt Orange Heresy, Willeford

Mike, your inclusion of Double Indemnity is an interesting one. Walter Huff's motivation for the murder and his subsequent downfall is more out of traditional noir--there's nothing really psychotic about his outlook or rationalizations, but more that crossed that moral line and is doomed. However, Phyliss definitely fits under the psycho noir definitions. Maybe that's why I liked Double Indemnity so much--it's a strong mix of both. Another good Willeford example of psycho noir--"The Woman Chaser".

--Dave