Re: RARA-AVIS: Types of noir (was Re: Pop. 1280)

From: Michael Robison ( miker_zspider@yahoo.com)
Date: 27 Jul 2007

Kat Richardson wrote:

I get "lit/crime" and conman and semi-autobio, but can you break down the differences between "psycho-noir,"
"standard noir" and "pure noir" for me? I'm lost with these and I missed any helpful hints that might be posted elsewhere.

************* I think the psycho part has been answered by those more knowledgeable than me. Definitely the following:

Double Indemnity, Cain Killer Inside Me, Thompson Burnt Orange Heresy, Willeford

What is standard and pure, I don't know. There is some disagreement on the list about whether the victorious hardboiled detective novels (like The Maltese Falcon) qualifies as noir fiction, even if the film version is noir.

There are two simple sets of definitions for hardboiled and noir now rolling around the group. Jim Doherty says: noir = dark and sinister hardboiled = tough and colloquial

Jack Bludis says: noir = screwed hardboiled = tough

miker

____________________________________________________________________________________ Need a vacation? Get great deals to amazing places on Yahoo! Travel. http://travel.yahoo.com/