Re: RE : RARA-AVIS: b traven documentary_German film

From: Jacques Debierue ( matrxtech@yahoo.com)
Date: 27 Jul 2007

--- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, "E. Borgers" <webeurop@...> wrote:

> Thanks for this interesting document.
>
> In between, I think I've found back the reference of the two parts
documentary film I saw on a European TV channel. It must be a German film by Wilfried Schoeller, a rather long documentary (1h30) that was probably split in two for TV broadcasting:
> "B. Traven, l'inconnu de Tampico" (B.Traven the unknown man from
Tampico- 1991)- apparently it was issued as a video in 2003.

Now that you mention this, I remember reading that in the seventies there was a revival of interest in Bruno Traven in Germany. No such revival has happened in English, that I know of. If the name rings any bells (other than that Treasure, the film, was based on his novel), it is to remind people of a mysterious hack who sold lots of books way back when. Sometimes I see Spanish translations of his books. I have never dared try one of them: considering how the cheap book industry in Spain used to treat popular literature, I wouldn't be surprised if there were cuts, unexplained changes, and just plain bad writing. They paid a pittance to translators, who, in turn, often proceeded to
"follow their own inspiration" when the going got tough. Some of that
 stuff is hilarious, actually. I have not read any of the French translations, but from your comments I smell the same kind of rat (bad work).

Best,

mrt