Re: RARA-AVIS: JAZZ as soundtrack

From: jean-pierre jacquet ( jacquet@optonline.net)
Date: 23 Jul 2007

Speaking of Ellington, he is credited for the soundtrack of Paris Blues (starring Paul Newman as a jazz trombonist , with a cameo by Louis Armstrong). So so film about american expat jazzmen in Paris. It is believed that Billy Strayhorn actually penned the score, which Ellington appropriated, as he was known for doing. A better film is the noirish Too Late Blues , directed by John Cassavettes and starring Bobby Darin as yet another down and out jazzman, with Stella Stevens as the not so dumb blonde. I saw it in the 60's and don't remember much about the soundtrack. jean-pierre jacquet http://www.jeanpierrejacquet.com

On Jul 23, 2007, at 5:09 PM, E. Borgers wrote:

> Jazz as soundtrack
> Besides Ellington and Mandell, already mentioned, there is another
> fully successful jazz soundtrack for a rather good noir film:
> ODDS AGAINST TOMORROW (1959) by Robert Wise
>
> The music is by the MJQ (very good), and as in Malle's ASCENSEUR…,
> it mixed really with the action (but this film and music is not at
> the level of Malle's)
>
> E.Borgers
> POLAR NOIR
> http://www.geocities.com/polarnoir