Re: RARA-AVIS: David Goodis and jazz influence

From: Brian Thornton ( tieresias@worldnet.att.net)
Date: 22 Jul 2007

Thanks for the background, Mark. I have Kahn's book, but it's in the TBR pile, along with most of my non-fiction.

Speaking of books on jazz musicians and Charles Mingus, there's a great book about Mingus, his classical musical education, his demons, his devastating originality called "But Beautiful." It bears a look.

Did you know that none other than Duane Allman used to listen to "Kind of Blue" every night he had a gig before the band would begin to tune up? He said there was a world of inspiration in that album alone.

It's not the greatest selling jazz album in history for nothing.

Brian