Re: RARA-AVIS: David Goodis and jazz influence

From: Brian Thornton ( tieresias@worldnet.att.net)
Date: 22 Jul 2007

Richard Moore wrote:

"I always thought Charles Mingus could have done a great noir soundtrack."

I saw the Mingus Big Band at UNLV when I was teaching in Vegas a few years back. When I heard "II BS," I immediately thought: "50s, soundtrack for some sort of drama." I can definitely imagine it as the title theme for a period piece from back then.

Also, speaking as a huge Davis fan who was unaware of this soundtrack, I'd like to thank Jeff for bringing it to our collective attention. Sounds as if he did it the same year he did "Kind of Blue." Yowza!

All the Best-

Brian Thornton