RARA-AVIS: Charles McCarry (was: A couple New Reads)

From: Duane Spurlock ( duane1spur@yahoo.com)
Date: 21 Jul 2007

  "cptpipes2000" cptpipes@hotmail.com cptpipes2000 wrote:

<< I've also started reading Charles McCarry. I haven't read much in the
 spy genre beyond Robert Littell and Kent Harrington's American Boys, but the two books
 I've read so far in McCarry's series are highly recommended.

I don't read much in the spy realm these days -- an occasional Alan Furst, and I read all of Ian Fleming's Bond novels years ago -- but I started reading McCarry a couple of years ago, with OLD BOYS. Since then I've been reading his books in reverse order, which lends an interesting perspective to his "Paul Christopher" story of US spy history. Excellent writer. Not sure that all his work fits in the hard-boiled realm, but excellent work. I have a little essay on OLD BOYS at The Pulp Rack:

http://pulprack.com/arch/2005/03/if_the_pulps_st.html

-Duane www.pulprack.com

--------------------------------- Ready for the edge of your seat? Check out tonight's top picks on Yahoo! TV.