Re: RARA-AVIS: Pop. 1280

From: Jacques Debierue ( matrxtech@yahoo.com)
Date: 19 Jul 2007

--- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, Michael Robison
<miker_zspider@...> wrote:

> Thanks for the recommendations, guys. I'm gonna go
> with Hell of a Woman. Also thanks for the movie
> recommendations, Mario. I have ignored the noir
> movies for a long time. I'm going to attempt to fix
> that. Aside from the talk here on the list, a couple
> books I got here recently spurred my interest in noir
> movies.

It should be noted (that is, I want to say) that Thompson shows remarkable insight in his portraits of women. He knew American women inside and out, so to speak. This is not always the case for hardboiled and noir writers. Some of them, even great ones like Elmore Leonard, have very superficial and hardly credible female characters.

Best,

MrT