Re: RARA-AVIS: Pop. 1280

From: Jacques Debierue ( matrxtech@yahoo.com)
Date: 19 Jul 2007

--- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, "Jeff Vorzimmer" <jvorzimmer@...> wrote:

> > I would appreciate it if you Thompson fans could give
> > me a couple more recommendations. I've already read
> > Killer Inside Me and The Getaway.
>
> I liked his autobiographical novels Roughneck and Bad Boy. I also
liked the
> Grifters. I've actually read all of Tompson. The Golden Gizmo and
King Blood
> are the most far out.

I thought _The Golden Gizmo_ was just plain bad, not just far out. But most of his books are interesting, they are original. My favorite is probably _The Getaway_, followed by Pop. 1280 and Hell of a Woman. Those are sure bets, money in the bank.

> Speaking of Thompson, I finally got around to seeing The Killing.
I'm not a
> big Kubrick fan, but I thought it was excellent. Done well before
Kubrick
> started taking himself too seriously.

I think The Killing is his best film, one of the best noir films. This film could be used in schools to show how to maintain continuity and tension and not lose the viewer even for one second. You should also seek out his _Killer's Kiss_ a B noir effort of considerable value
(this is not meant to be condescending: it's a sweet little movie).

Best,

MrT