RARA-AVIS: Re: Real Cool Killers

From: Jacques Debierue ( matrxtech@yahoo.com)
Date: 18 Jul 2007

--- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, Michael Robison
<miker_zspider@...> wrote:

> Mario wrote:
>
> At the risk of offending somebody, which is not my
> intention, this is like mentioning John Huston and
> Tarantino in the same breath.

> No offense taken, Mario. Of course, as Richard Moore
> has pointed out, I have been limiting my comparison to
> The Real Cool Killers and the first three Hammer
> novels, not the oeuvre of both writers. So far I
> haven't seen anything here to change my opinion.

I strongly suggest (though it's your money) that you give Himes's Harlem novels the full treatment. They make up a great body of work. Unforgettable scenes, like a guy stealing a tire from a car, the tire starts rolling downhill, the guy runs fast in pursuit, and hell breaks loose. Himes rocks! Also, Thunder's Mouth put out some years ago a complete set of Himes short stories, a very worthwhile book to dip into when you're not reading novels. Some of the stories are very moving, very likely autobiographical. No matter the topic, Himes makes music with the language and the story sings.

I guess you have guessed by now that I am a longtime Himes fan... Ever since I found Blind Man with a Pistol (great title, by the way).

Best,

MrT