RE : Re: RE : RARA-AVIS: B.Traven _Treasure of the Sierra Madre

From: E. Borgers ( webeurop@yahoo.fr)
Date: 18 Jul 2007

Richard,

  Thanks again for all the details and insight related to Traven and THE TREASURE… you gave us in your last messages.
  I'm looking now for a recent translation, and as soon I can find the book I'll let you know my opinion about this novel.

  E.Borgers

Richard Moore < moorich@aol.com> a 飲it : Thank you for the clarification as my response to your original statement was based on the sweeping dismissal of Traven's work. I don't disagree with your assessment of THE DEATH SHIP. It features some scenes of great power but as a novel, it is a mess. It was the first work published by Traven and it may share many of the faults of a first novel.

The novel is important to understanding Traven as it is a cry of rage by a stateless person trapped in a limbo of hell. Traven, after an career as an actor and then revolutionary editor/publisher had been an official of the brief Bavarian republic after World War I. Following its overthrow, he was captured and sentenced to death. He managed to escape but had no papers and so could not travel and enter countries legally. He was turned away from Canada and Britain. There is a wonderful mug shot of him taken in London in 1923. It was about this time he began to claim American citizenship. Afterall, had he been deported to Germany, he would quite possibly be executed.

.../...

      Recent Activity

      4
  New Members