Re: RARA-AVIS: *Songs of Innocence* and Patrick Anderson's review

From: DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net
Date: 17 Jul 2007

Jack wrote:

"Does true noir have even a glimmer of hope? Isn't the downward, inevitable slope of the poor slump of the protag, or the fear that the bastard villain will succeed, the point of noir?"

As I noted when I mentioned Anderson's review, I have problems with his definition of noir, but not this part. I don't necessarily think noir displays hope on the part of the author or to the reader that the protagonist will be able to stave off doom, but I do think we often see the protagonist clinging to hope that the inevitable might be overcome. Why else keep trying? And it is that undercutting of hope that makes the screwing even worse.

Mark