RARA-AVIS: *Songs of Innocence* and Patrick Anderson's review

From: Jack Bludis ( buildsnburns@yahoo.com)
Date: 17 Jul 2007

Thanks to Mark the anonymous for referring us to Patrick Anderson's the review of Richard Aleas's *Songs of Innocence.*

Here's the URL: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/07/15/AR2007071501311.html

You'll probably have to rejoin the two lines to get there.

The review is a good one, and in spite of my ever shrinking book budget, I'm going to get this one.

Aside to Bill Denton, what's the chance of our making this a discussion book in August or September.

But he says something that I think we might want to discuss: "And yet noir always offers a glimmer of hope."

Does true noir have even a glimmer of hope? Isn't the downward, inevitable slope of the poor slump of the protag, or the fear that the bastard villain will succeed, the point of noir?

Jack Bludis

____________________________________________________________________________________Ready for the edge of your seat? Check out tonight's top picks on Yahoo! TV. http://tv.yahoo.com/