RARA-AVIS: Re: Isola = New York Sideways

From: JIM DOHERTY ( jimdohertyjr@yahoo.com)
Date: 15 Jul 2007

Jack,

Re your comment below:

"It will take others who know for sure, but I think I remember from long, long ago that a TV series called
*The Naked City* was set in New York, which was housed the 87th Precinct. 'There are Eight Million Stories in the Naked City ... and this is one of them?'"

The TV series THE NAKED CITY was based on a 1948 movie of the same name. It was originally about a two-man team made up of Det. Lt. Dan Muldoon and Det. Jimmy Halloran. Muldoon and Halloran were played, respectively, by Barry Fitzgerald and Don Taylor in the movie, and by John McIntyre and James Franciscus in the TV series. Although the TV series didn't appear until several years after the first 87th Precinct novel, the film, which introduced the characters, was released several years before.

The title came from a series book of starkly effective black and white photographs of NYC scenes, including crime scenes, by the famed photojournalist Arthur
"WeeGee" Felig.

In later seasons, the Muldoon/Halloran team was replaced by Lt. Mike Parker and Det. Adam Flint, played by Horace McMahon and Paul Burke. McMahon made a kind of career out of playing tough NYC cops with hearts of gold. He played basically the same part in the stage and scren versions of DETECTIVE STORY, and in the Frank Sinatra film version of THE DETECTIVE.

There WAS an 87th Precinct TV series in the early
'60's, with Robert Lansing and as Carella and Norman Fell as Meyer, but I don't know if the city was identified as New York or "Isola." There were also some low-budget features made in the late '50's from COP KILLER and THE MUGGER, but, again, I don't know if the city was clearly identified as New York, or whether they retained McBain's conceit of the
"imaginary city."

JIM DOHERTY

____________________________________________________________________________________ 8:00? 8:25? 8:40? Find a flick in no time with the Yahoo! Search movie showtime shortcut. http://tools.search.yahoo.com/shortcuts/#news