RARA-AVIS: Hardboiled Hollywood

From: DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net
Date: 13 Jul 2007

Colin,

Thankk you very much for leading me to seek out Max Decharne's book. It was your mention of his essay that led me to seek out this book that contained it. Decharne's introduction offers an overview of Hollywood's attitude towards crime, especially gangster movies (studios and audiences love them, try to get away with as much as possible; the Hayes Office and moral reformers hate them, believe they glorify crime and lead to imitation). Each following chapter concentrates on one movie and its literary and/or historic antecedent. Most of the titles will probably be recognized by most here:

Little Caesar The Big Sleep In a Lonely Place Kiss Me, Deadly Hell is a City Psycho Point Blank Bonnie and Clyde Get Carter Dillinger LA Confidential

Decharne did serious research, offering many interesting tidbits about authors, actors, directors, etc. All are good, but Colin was right to call particular attention to his discussion of Get Carter. Highly recommended. I wish there had been even more movies covered.

Mark