Re: RARA-AVIS: The Real Cool Killers

From: DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net
Date: 12 Jul 2007

Yes, Brian, Himes uses the euphemism "mother-raper" throughout the Coffin (got it right this me) Ed and Gravedigger Jones series. Kind of odd that we find "rape" more acceptable than "fuck," though.

Didn't Arlo Guthrie use "mother-raper" in Alice's Restaurant?

Speaking of hardboiled slang, I always thought "bust a cap" started with hip hop, but I just read this quote from the Frank Hamer, Texas Ranger who led the team that shot up Bonnie and Clyde: "I hate to bust a cap on a woman, especially when she's sitting down. However, if it hadn't been her, it would have been us." (from NY Times, quoted in Decharne's Hardboiled Hollywood).

Mark