Re: RARA-AVIS: Re:Books to Films

From: Patrick King ( abrasax93@yahoo.com)
Date: 12 Jul 2007

--- William Ahearn < williamahearn@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Johnson's best work? I can't even take that
> seriously.
> I'm not trying to be difficult or sound like some
> kind
> of a snob -- a snob I am not -- but please.

I have a hard time taking THIS seriously. You sure sound like a snob! Have you seen the movie? It started the career of Jennifer Connelly, included a wonderful performance by Virginia Madsen a la Stanwick. If you're so narrow minded you can't see past Miami Vice and all the money Johnson made from that, so you just naturally have to dismiss the name, well, who could possibly take you seriously? There was a time I felt that way about John Travolta, and I was wrong, too. In the hands of the right director, even you might pull off a good performance. The Hot Spot is a good story, sensibly crafted, well directed, with a series of fine performances. I can think of several "classic" noirs that don't measure up to it.

Patrick King

____________________________________________________________________________________ Sick sense of humor? Visit Yahoo! TV's Comedy with an Edge to see what's on, when. http://tv.yahoo.com/collections/222