Re: RARA-AVIS: The Hills of Homicide

From: James Reasoner ( james53@flash.net)
Date: 09 Jul 2007

> I've read just one L'Amour, a contemporary cold war thriller. I finished
it
> because I was being paid to adapt it to the screen. he has by far one of
> the most unreadable prose styles I have ever encountered in modern
fiction.
> and he hits whatever meager points he wants to make again and again as if
with a
> hammer
>
> Louis L'Amour? Louis L'Haine
>
> John Lau

That would be LAST OF THE BREED, from late in L'Amour's career and not a good book. His pulp stories and his Western novels from the Fifties and early Sixties are better, although I've always thought he was overrated as a Western writer. But when he was on his game, he was a fine storyteller.

James Reasoner