RARA-AVIS: Re: The Hills of Homicide

From: grbc74 ( gbaeza@gmail.com)
Date: 09 Jul 2007

Thanks for your reply. I wish these editions were more specific as to what stories they are reprinting. L'Amour mentions in the intro that they were revised. He also makes an interesting remark regarding the difference between western and crime stories: "The detective protagonist does not usually come to fear the land as much as the characters in a frontier story (...) In detective stories, the characters come to fear the people they have to associate with in the city."

I also have a copy of The Night Flower (not to be confused with Brand's similarly titled novel "The Nightflower") but haven't read it yet. The University of Nebraska published another of Brand's mysteries a few years ago: Seven Faces. You can read more about it here:

http://maxbrand-faust.com/faces.html

-GB. sweethomealameda.blogspot.com

--- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, "R. & J. Clinton"
<clinton65@...> wrote:

> I have it, the Severn UK HC, and while it's been too long since
I've read it
> to speak of it with any type of knowledge or familiarity, the fact
that I
> still have it leads me to believe it must have been a worthy
enough of a
> read to keep.
>
> I also have THE NIGHT FLOWER by Max Brand (intro. by William F.
Nolan),
> which is more pulpish in its hardboiled themes and (or perhaps
because of
> that very reason) not as good as the L'Amour collection (read
FLOWER a