Re: RARA-AVIS: Blonde Lightning

From: cptpipes2000 ( cptpipes@hotmail.com)
Date: 08 Jul 2007

>>>And I got got tired of deleting messages during the discussions. It's just
>>>my opinion, but often I wish that people would take their debates offlist.
>>>Any chance we can get back to members telling us about the books they have
>>>read and actually discussing books?

I took some time off for non-fiction, but I've read some humdingers lately that I think many here would enjoy. Here's what I can recall off the top off my head:

Michael Connelly's THE OVERLOOK - this is a remix of his NYT Magazine serial that ran a few months back. I read the weekly installments then and am aware that Connelly revamped his work considerably for the book version, but I am too dense to recall the changes. Nevertheless, this one is highly recommended. I appreciate that Connelly's books are infused with post-9/11 issues w/out being heavy-handed.

Ken Bruen's PRIEST: I've praised Bruen here many times before and the only debate that remains is which of his series I would be forced to pick with a gun to my head. Jack Taylor continues to evolve and this latest from Bruen is a terrific step along the way.

Adrian McKinty's THE BLOOMSDAY DEAD: The final installment of the Michael Forsythe trilogy. This one rivals DEAD I MAY WELL BE.

Loren D. Estleman's AMERICAN DETECTIVE: I love this series. This is one of the rare ones that is better now than when it debuted.

I've got the latest from John Burdett on deck and will tackle Chabon's police novel after that. Plus, I'm looking forward to Bruen and Starr's follow-up to BUST. Life is good.

best, Chris

p.s. Against my better instincts, I'm coming 'round to Doherty's way of thinking regarding Noir. When Jim is asked to perform high school geometry and "show his work" I am unsettled by the methods he uses to get to his final definition. But I mostly agree with his final destination of Dark & Sinister. It certainly encompasses far too many books that I consider noir that don't fit the "the protagonist is screwed and in a downward spiral" definition that is espoused as a contradiction. Yes, DARK RIDE is a superb noir novel, but so is THE SWEET FOREVER.