RARA-AVIS: Re: Digest Number 1548

From: Jacques Debierue ( matrxtech@yahoo.com)
Date: 08 Jul 2007

--- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, William Ahearn <williamahearn@...> wrote:
<<What is being touted as the new noir is more a fashion than a style. That's not to say that some of these books aren't good or not worth reading. But having definitions of post-1955 noirishness is sometimes funny and every time has helped me with my own evaluations of the form.

But the waving of books and quotations is a little too Mao for me.>>

Well, noir isn´t dead. Jason Starr writes noir books, pure noir, no adjustment of parameters necessary: instantly recognizable and beautifully done. Donald Westlake´s _The Ax_ is a prime example of contemporary noir. And if Ellroy´s LA quartet of novels isn´t noir, I don´t know what is (they are also ultrahardboiled, but definitely noir).

You can´t say it was all over by 1955, that´s not true in literature or in film. A film like Coppola´s _The Conversation_ is pure noir, yet is not an hommage to anything, it is a late seventies noir story. There have been many other unqualified noir films since.

Best,

MrT