RARA-AVIS: Re: Deadheads & the Laughing Policeman

From: Jacques Debierue ( matrxtech@yahoo.com)
Date: 06 Jul 2007

--- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, "caroli1975" <karabair@...> wrote:

> I like Hill a lot. I'm curious what you disliked about the style. He
> writes procedurals, but I personally wouldn't consider him noir --
> there's a psychological darkness to some of his work, but it doesn't
> really fit the noir sensibility. He's closer to P.D. James or Ruth
> Rendell.

That may well be the problem for the original poster... while I don't dislike Hill, there is a certain cosiness that makes me not take his stories all that seriously. I prefer authors who put a little more distance between themselves and the reader, a little more aggresiveness. Fun for reading at the beach, but not all that memorable. His plots are good, though.

Best,

MrT