Re: Sallis (was Re: RARA-AVIS: Tarantino and Hard Case Crime)

From: Stewart Wilson ( stewart@stewartwilson.com)
Date: 06 Jul 2007

Mark pondered:

> I still wonder when Sallis decided to end it that way,
> whether he had it in mind from the start or realized it later.

Sallis said:

"I rarely have much idea where a book will go except in a very general sense, and that's often more a feeling, a sense of form, than anything else. With the Lew Griffin books, I knew the arc of the story, and the final ending, about halfway through. But the rest was improvised from day to day, line to line. I find this to be the only way I can truly enjoy writing: this poking about to see what's in there."

Source: http://www.noexit.co.uk/jamessallis_interview.htm

Cheers,
--Stewart