RARA-AVIS: Re: Neo-nah...

From: uplandharmabooks ( uplandharmabooks@yahoo.com)
Date: 05 Jul 2007

Kevin wrote: Are cartoonish characters, ridiculous plots and outrageous coincidence the best these guys can do?

Okay, I have a confession to make. When I began reading this discussion I thought I had an idea of the authors and books being referred to, but I must admit that I'm now at a loss. Either the works referred to aren't hard-boiled or "neo-noir" or I haven't read them or heard about them. As abundant as they seem to be it certainly has my curiosity piqued. I've read some less than excellent contemporary hard-boiled, but none that have reached the level of "torture porn"
[new phrase to me so I'm going to use it;) ].

I could probably follow the points being made much better if there were some examples of the offending books and/or authors. I'm not trying to "call anyone out" here; just trying to get some clarity of the discussion's subject matter.

Amy peace