RARA-AVIS: Re: Torture Porn

From: al_guthrie65 ( allan@allanguthrie.co.uk)
Date: 04 Jul 2007

I think Bill's been very generous in letting us talk about movies at all, so I'll not try his patience other than to say HOSTEL got its rep not by being good but by making an awful lot of money. That's my perception anyway.

Hope you have some fun with Hard Man. I certainly had fun writing it.

Al

--- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, "GB" <mnc_fb@...> wrote:

> Al:
>
> I guess this might open up a new debate. Namely, the nature of so-
> called "independent" films that cost millions of dollars and are
> produced and distributed by the same moguls who are responsible
for
> all the other blockbusters. HOSTEL's budget might not seem big
> compared to films like Jurassic Park, but they are still
infinitely
> more expensive than the movies from the '70s it is esentially
> stealing from. The only difference is that while most of the
latter
> were almost universally dismissed as rubbish (and the quality of
the
> few good ones that came out is only now being acknowledged),
HOSTEL