Re: RARA-AVIS: Spillane & noir

From: Dave Zeltserman ( dz@hardluckstories.com)
Date: 04 Jul 2007

I don't consider all of the stories in the anthology noir, but Spillane's is a great one, maybe the best in the anthology.

I always liked Spillane. "I, the Jury" turned me onto crime fiction when I read it as a kid. While I don't consider his Mike Hammer books noir, there are noirish impulses in them, and they probably fit under today's wider definition of noir. "Tomorrow I Die" would fit under anyone's defintion of noir. If you want to read a great noir story, definitely look it up.

--Dave