RARA-AVIS: Re: Torture Porn

From: caroli1975 ( karabair@gmail.com)
Date: 04 Jul 2007

--- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, <funkmasterj@...> wrote:

> I can't stand they way Tarantino glorifies violence - with the sole
exception of Jackie Brown, I stay away from his movies. I've never seen Pulp Fiction by choice. The only thing worse is his "acting"

I have mixed feelings about Tarantino's movies -- though not about his
'acting' which is awful by any standard. But I don't think
'glorifying violence' is how I'd put it, across the board. To me, glorifying violence includes downplaying the consequences -- and
'Reservoir Dogs' is basically a two hour study in how it feels to die of a gunshot wound. There's a lot of 'noise' flying around, I guess, but there is an emotional relationship (between Tim Roth & Harvey Keitel's characters -- I saw it too long ago to match the correct color to the correct character) flying around, and I think we're supposed to be justly horrified by Madsen's sociopathic character. So it's not sheer violence for violence's sake -- likewise, Pulp Fiction has some affecting moments, particularly in the storyline involving Bruce Willis's character. Now I'm not sure I can say the same thing about "Kill Bill" -- I couldn't sit through the first, and didn't watch the second. I can't say for sure whether my tastes changed, or the films did.

-Carrie