RARA-AVIS: Re: Torture Porn

From: Jacques Debierue ( matrxtech@yahoo.com)
Date: 04 Jul 2007

--- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, William Ahearn <williamahearn@...> wrote:

> --- GB <mnc_fb@...> wrote:
>
> > They are still noir as far as I'm concerned. After
> > all, that's just a
> > very subjective label that describes mood or
> > ambience I guess. The
> > thing is, I'd also consider them bad noirs.
> >
> I was being a bit sarcastic. I don't think they're
> noir as I think the term noir isn't all that
> subjective. But if other people want to, there isn't
> anything I can do about it.

It all depends on whether the label "noir" is considered positive or negative for selling. That is from the publisher's point of view (or the producer, if it's a film). From the critical point of view, you can usually tell when something is _not_ noir, which is a useful negative criterion. The same happens with non-jazz -- easily identifiable.

In any genre you will find writers who adopt some of the trappings, some of the situations and some of the style without really adopting the spirit. That is why "fake" hardboiled is so funny, for example. I don't mean this funniness as praise, necessarily.

Best,

MrT