Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: Torture Porn

From: DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net
Date: 03 Jul 2007

GB wrote:

"This is particularly evident in the new crop of novels where it is mandatory to include an action scene on every single page of their three-page chapters."

So who is this? Bruen? Huston? Both have short chapters and very brutal violence.

Will some of these detractors please name names, give titles and/or authors? I'd like to know exactly what we are discussing. Yes, I think most of us would agree that violence can be gratuitous, but I think there'd be a lot of disagreement about what books are guilty of this. And we need specific examples in order to discuss where that line is. I mentioned I drew it at Rex Miller's Slob and I put down Stokoe's High Life some time go and am in no rush to finish it -- wasn't so much that the violence and perverse sex, often both together, were so disturbing as they got boring, while plumping up and impeding the story, what there was of one.

While I disagree with miker about Russell James's Slaughter Music being over the line (like Al Guthrie, I think it's a great hit man novel) and Last Exit to Brooklyn, I'm glad he offered titles to show where his line is.

As for the movies that were cited, I'm one of those who thinks Marvin getting his head blown off in Pulp Fiction is exactly comparable to Daffy Duck taking a shotgun blast from Elmer Fudd in the face. Doesn't mean other violence in movies -- Irreversible, American History X, Reqiem for a Dream, slashefilms, etc -- doesn't disturb me, some with an underlying point, others without.

Haven't seen Hostel, but from what I've heard, I'd guess it's more horror or splatterpunk than noir.

Mark