RARA-AVIS: Police Procedurals

From: funkmasterj@runbox.com
Date: 02 Jul 2007

I am really big fan of Ed McBain's 87th Precinct novels, so I sought out other police procedurals.

I went to http://www.answers.com/topic/police-procedural and it had a British and an American top 10 list.

Based on these lists, I got out and read:

Colin Dexter: The Dead of Jericho (1981) - I liked this, I didn't know Colin Dexter wrote the Morse novels Martin Cruz Smith: Gorky Park (1981) - I really enjoyed this, even though I had seen the movie H. R. F. Keating: The Murder of the Maharajah (1980) - awful, Agatha Christie-type gather up the suspects for a dinner to announce the killer Joseph Wambaugh: The Onion Field (1975) - I didn't like this much, too much was spent on the characters life stories, rather than police procedure Tony Hillerman: Dance Hall of the Dead (1973) - I enjoyed this Lawrence Sanders: The First Deadly Sin (1973) - I tried reading this today, but it really turned me off, I've abandoned it Joseph Wambaugh: The Choirboys (1975) - I have this out, can someone tell me if it is stylistically like The Onion Field or is there more police procedure?

I also read (not on either of the 2 lists) Henning Mankell's Faceless Killers - I really liked this, even though I realized midway through that I had seen it on PBS

I am just starting Reginald Hill: Dead Heads (1983), and also have out Maj Sjö·¡¬l & Per Wahlö¶º The Laughing Policeman (1968) (enjoyed the Martin Beck series on PBS), and Tony Hillerman: A Thief of Time (1988)

Any other ideas?

Thanks,

Jordan

<*> Your email settings: