RARA-AVIS: Du Maurier (was Re: The Third Man)

From: Duane Spurlock ( duane1spur@yahoo.com)
Date: 30 Jun 2007

"William Ahearn" williamahearn@yahoo.com williamahearn wrote:

--- Anders Engwall < anders.engwall@comhem.se> wrote:

*Everybody* disagrees with me about North by Northwest but when you're talking popcorn flicks, what difference does it make? Did you ever read Daphne DuMaurier's short story The Birds? If there was ever a writer with an image problem, it's her. Rebecca is sold as a murder mystery, prototypical chick lit, literature and lord knows what else. There's at least six different marketed covers on the paperbacks that I ran across browsing around used bookstores. The Birds is a really good story and Hitch and Evan Hunter . . . OK, I'll stop. And the film Don't Look Now actually did her story. She's a really good writer.

Yes she is. A couple years ago I finally read some of her short stories, including those turned into the movies mentioned by William. She wrote some excellent short stories. I haven't tried the novels, but I'll be reading more of her shorter works.
- Duane www.pulprack.com

--------------------------------- Park yourself in front of a world of choices in alternative vehicles. Visit the Yahoo! Auto Green Center.